Frequently Asked Questions
Purchasing, changing and using a ticket and its validity
Can I use the e-ticket for other departures than the one marked on the ticket?
I missed my ferry. Can I change my ticket or get a refund?
E-tickets are valid in the general queue from the the moment of purchase up to 48 hours after the departure time marked on the ticket. You can also change or return your ticket up to 15 minutes prior to the departure.
If you use your ticket at a different time than that marked on it, you will not be able to get into the priority queue with your vehicle, instead, you will be directed into the general queue, where it is not guaranteed that you will fit on the next ferry. You can get into the priority queue only if you go through ticket control at the time that has been marked on your ticket.
Keep in mind that some trips are more expensive during the weekends. You have to pay for the price difference, if the change increases the price of your ticket.
Can I buy a ticket via e-mail or on the phone?
No, you can only buy tickets from the ferries.ee e-service and a ticket office at the port.
Only contractual business customers who are organisers of big events or of regular transport services (bus and logistics companies) can book tickets in advance by contacting our customer support team. You should also contact customer support in order to book a place for oversized vehicles and vehicles with dangerous cargo.
How do I receive invoice about the tickets?
The ticket and invoice-purchase confirmation will be sent to your e-mail address after you have purchased the ticket. If you have bought the ticket while logged into our e-service, you will find the ticket and invoice in the subsection “My tickets” in the section “My account”.
If you are a contractual business customer (you have signed a customer contract with us) and you use the prepayment or credit on your customer account to pay for the tickets, an invoice of the entire month’s purchases will be sent to you (in the) within the first seven days of the succeeding month; you can also find the invoice via the e-service, in the subsection “My invoices” in the section “My account” of the company. Separate invoice-purchase confirmations for each ticket can be found in subsection “My tickets” in section “My account”.
Do I have to print out the ticket?
No. Your e-ticket will be checked at the port in the following manner:
- the first option is licence place verification, which is why it is important that you arrive to the port in the same vehicle for which you bought the ticket;
- the second option is mobile verification – in this case you have to call the number marked on the barrier from the mobile number that you have previously entered while purchasing your ticket, after which the barrier will be raised;
- the third option is to scan the QR-code of the ticket from your smartphone, tablet computer or a printed paper;
- the fourth option is to type in the ticket code in the self-service kiosk.
Do I have to buy a separate ferry ticket if I’m travelling by a coach bus?
No, you do not. If you have bought a bus ticket to a destination, the route of which includes a ferry ride, then the ferry ticket is covered by the price of the bus ticket.
When do I have to pay the 1.5 x price of a ferry ticket?
The 1.5 x price applies to departures from the mainland to the islands on Fridays from 1 PM and to departures from the islands to the mainland on Sundays from 1 PM. The 1.5 x price means that the ticket price during the aforementioned times is 50% higher. The increased price does not apply to buses that cater to bus companies or vehicles the owner, authorised user or user of which is a permanent resident or company of the Hiiu or Saare County. Neither does the increased price apply to traveller tickets (people travelling without vehicles).
If you have a ticket for a ferry that departs before 1 PM, but you reach a ticket office at a time when the increased price applies, you will have to change your ticket and pay for the difference in prices and the fee for changing a ticket according to the price list.
Prices and discounts have been established by Regulation of the Ministry of Economy and Infrastructure 25.09.2015 no. 120.
I paid for tickets, but an error occurred and I cannot see my tickets, nor did I receive them via e-mail. What should I do?
Please contact our customer support team by calling 1310 (0.22 €/min, plus call charges imposed by your operator) or +372 618 1310 or send an e-mail to email@example.com. When contacting us via e-mail, be sure to include the date, time and direction of your desired trip, as well as the registration number of your vehicle and a PDF-format payment order.
Just to be sure you haven’t missed anything, check your junk mail folder before calling us or sending an e-mail. Your tickets might have ended up there.
How can I change or cancel my ticket?
You can change or return your ticket up to 15 minutes prior to the departure, look here for more.
Ferry ticket prices
How are ticket prices determined?
- The ticket prices and discounts of TS Laevad Ltd. comply with the requirements established in the relevant Estonian regulation. (Regulation no. 120 TS “Piletihinnad ja sõidusoodustused avaliku teenindamise lepingu alusel teostataval liiniveol Kuivastu-Virtsu, Rohuküla-Heltermaa ja Sõru-Triigi parvlaevaliinidel” https://www.riigiteataja.ee/akt/127012016008)
- The TS Laevad Ltd. ticket system was developed on the basis of this regulation.
- Uniform ticket prices and discounts for residents and the procedure for taking them into account apply when purchasing tickets at a ticket window or via the e-service.
Discounts for residents
- Discounts apply to registered residents and legal entities of Hiiumaa or Saaremaa. Clients registered in Hiiu County receive discounts on the Heltermaa-Rohuküla line, while those clients registered in Saare County receive discounts on the Kuivastu-Virtsu line.
How are discounts for residents’ vehicles determined?
- Discounts are available to those registered as living on Saaremaa or Hiiumaa.
- To obtain a discount for a vehicle, residents must be named on the vehicle’s registration certificate as the vehicle’s owner, responsible user or user.
- The documents needed in order for a discount to be granted are an ID card and the vehicle’s registration document.
- The passenger must present the documents granting the discount at the harbour when purchasing tickets at a ticket window or in the harbour area when purchased via the e-service.
- The registered location of the legal entity must be Hiiu County or Saare County.
- The same legal entity is named in the vehicle’s registration documents.
- If the legal entity has the right to obtain the vehicle discount, then based on the fact that a legal entity is a construct in law that cannot drive a vehicle, the discount is automatically granted to the legal entity’s driver (employee of the legal entity) whether or not the driver is a resident of Hiiumaa or Saaremaa.
- To obtain discounts the legal entity must enter into a client contract with TS Laevad Ltd.
- When purchasing tickets at the harbour, the person should present the vehicle’s registration documents, which are used for checking the ownership of the vehicle.
|Determination of vehicle discount|
|Private client||According to population register, place of residence is Saaremaa or Hiiumaa||Named in vehicle’s registration documents as owner, user or responsible user|
|Legal entity||Registered in Hiiu County or Saare County according to commercial register||Named in vehicle’s registration documents||Driver’s discount ticket is valid|
Does a vehicle owner with the right to the discount have to be in the vehicle during the crossing?
- In the case of private clients – yes. The purpose of the discount is to give the resident a financial incentive in crossing with their vehicle. The discount is not intended for the vehicle alone.
- In the case of legal entities – no. It is not possible for the owner to be in the vehicle during the crossing, as the owner is a construct in law, not an actual person.
How is the resident’s discount determined regarding trailers?
- The discount applies to a trailer if it is attached to a vehicle which has the right to the discount.
- If the owner of the trailer is a resident but the vehicle does not have the right to a discount, the discount does not apply to the trailer either.
What is ‘rush hour’?
- ‘Rush hour’ applies to crossings from the mainland to the islands (Virtsu-Kuivastu and Rohuküla-Heltermaa) starting from 13:00 on Fridays and to crossings from the islands to the mainland (Kuivastu-Virtsu and Heltermaa-Rohuküla) starting from 13:00 on Sundays.
- During ‘rush hour’, the vehicle price is 50% higher (except for regular bus services and vehicles owned by residents).
Does the 50% higher price also apply to bicycles and mopeds?
- According to the Traffic Act, bicycles and mopeds are also vehicles to which regulations apply. The valid regulation does not distinguish between vehicles and motor vehicles (under which bicycles and mopeds are not included), so the higher price also applies to them.
Can I get the permanent resident discount on my traveller ticket with a passport?
You will need an ID-card to verify your right to a discount in order to buy a ticket with a permanent resident discount from the port or an e-ticket with the same discount. An ID-card is a domestic personal identification document that is compulsory for everyone over the age of 15 (incl.).
I am a permanent resident of an island and I have more than one car. Can I buy discount tickets for all my cars?
Yes, you can. As a permanent resident of the island, you have the right to purchase discount tickets to all vehicles, the registration certificate of which lists you as an owner, responsible user or user.
I am a permanent resident of the island. Can I get additional discount if I show my student card/pension certificate?
No. According to the price list, a discount price is meant for students, people over the age of 65 or permanent residents of the Saare or Hiiu County. Therefore, you cannot get a double discount.
Can I still get on board of a ferry, if there are no tickets left at the e-service?
The e-service usually sells up to 70% of the available tickets. The rest of the tickets will be sold from a ticket office at the port.
Where can I get additional information?
If you need information about ferry traffic or other support, please contact our customer support team by calling 1310 (0.22 €/min, plus call charges imposed by your operator) or +372 618 1310 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Customer support is available every day from 8 AM to 8 PM. You can always find the most up-to-date information in the news section of our e-service.
How long does the crossing last?
The duration of trip on the Hiiumaa route is 1 h 15 min and on the Saaremaa route 27 min.
How did the ferries get their names?
In order to find names for the new ferries, we organised a competition in March 2015 under which we received nearly 1,000 name suggestions from about 200 persons. The names of Tõll, Piret, Leiger, and Tiiu were suggested by 36 persons from the mainland and islands.
What is the limit of high winds due to which the trip gets cancelled?
The departure of the ferry from the port is decided by the captain. Our first priority is to ensure safety.
Who determines the ferry schedules?
The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications commissions a certain number of trips from us. In cooperation with the county government and the ministry, we will fix the schedule according to this.
Are children permitted to travel on the ferry without parents?
We would like to ask you to ensure that children are under the supervision of their parents on the ferry.
Does the motor third party liability insurance apply to my car on the ferry?
Within the meaning of the Motor Insurance Act, damage caused while driving on or off a ferry engaged in regular services is deemed an insured event. In this case, please contact your insurance company, because further proceedings of the case are carried out by the relevant insurance companies.
If the cars start to move on the ferry, for example, due to navigation or weather, and cause damage to other vehicles, it is not considered a traffic accident and any damages caused by this are not compensated by the motor third party liability insurance.
Where to I turn with complaints?
In order to resolve problems and complaints, send an e-mail to email@example.com or call our customer support team at +372 681 1310. Customer support is available every day from 8 AM to 8 PM.
As a consumer you have the right to turn to the Consumer Disputed Committee of the Consumer Protection Board for the settlement of complaints. As of 15.02.2016, consumers also have the opportunity to file complaints to the Consumer Disputed Committee via the EU Online Dispute Resolution website.